These little baskets may not be the healthiest thing in the world but they are pretty yummy and are good to serve as finger food or company to any dish!
Plantains are such a latin american vergetable? that it maight be difficult to find in some countries if you don’t go to a farmers market or a market that imports from all over the world.
The pico de gallo on the other hand is one of mayfavorite things to have! It goes with everything!
While making the little baskets I like to rub some garlic to give them some extra umph.
Plantain Mini Baskets with Pico de Gallo
Perfect for party finger food or accompany a main dish
- 2 Plantains
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Large Tomato diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley
- 1/4 small Red Onion diced
- 2 small limes
- 1/2 tsp. White vinager
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil
- For the Plantain Baskets:
- The first thing is to set a deep skillet with vegetale oil on the stove on medium heat.
- While the oil is heating up, peel the plantain and then cut them in about 1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Once the oil is boiling hot, place carefully the slices in the oil until the get a yellowish gold tosty look. (See photo for that weird color description)
- As soon as the achieve that color, get them out on to a paper towel to cool down a bit. (IMPORTANT TO LET COOL DOWN)
- Now that they have cooled, with the help of your fingers or a round object, push the middle and start making the baskets.
- At this moment trun on the fire again to fry them again until crispy.
- Dice your tomato and Onion in little cubes and shop your parsley thinly.
- On a bowl, trow together the diced Onions and Tomato, the shopped Parsley and add the juice of the two Limes, the Vinager and Salt.
For the Pico de Gallo:
Note: The trick to this is to have equal parts of onions to tomato and putting it on the fridge to chill for a while, that lets all the juices soak onto the vegs.
I hope you guys enjoy this!